The Torch

ROAD Week Has Officially Begun!!!

Brea S., Reporter

Purcell High School is raising money for ROAD week. ROAD stands for Rely On A Dragon. The Student Council hosted a bake sale during the basketball games on the 6th at half time. We are raising money for the Dragon Food Pantry, Dragon Emergency Fund, and Ally’s House.

Ally’s House, one of the recipients of 2018 Road Week, has been chosen by Stuco in the past for Road Week. “It’s great that our students can continue to support causes that are close to their hearts. Stuco was thrilled to provide help for Ally’s House who in turn helps many families as their children battle cancer,” said Ms. Frankenberg, previous Stuco adviser.

Students of PHS, Brea Schultz, Lizzie Davis, and Hallie Eisman, and Jaylee Fleming filmed a video discussing the Bake Sale, and more information on Ally’s House.

Click to see the video    

According to the Ally’s House website,

Ally’s House was established in 2004 as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization to provide support to pediatric cancer families of Oklahoma. This support is primarily in the area of financial assistance. To date, Ally’s House processed more than 1,200 financial assistance applications for our families.

The assistance is designed to help ease a portion of the family’s financial stress during treatments. Ally’s House may pay for a broad range of needs. Examples include:

• Prescriptions
  • Medical Expenses
  • Transportation to/from treatment
  • Housing
  • Utilities
  • Clothing and food

While other organizations do important work to advance medical research or advocacy, Ally’s House is the only Oklahoma non-profit providing financial assistance to individual families during their journey, regardless of what form of cancer their child has. We believe this mission is vitally important, and meets a vital need. Continued community support is critical for Ally’s House to continue helping each family who applies.