The student news site of Purcell High School

The Torch

Purcell Bond Issue

Cole S., Reporter

The Bond Issue is a big deal in Purcell. If it is passed, Purcell will receive a new Junior High building, the football field will have renovations, and new band uniforms will be bought along with technology and other general items.

The vote will be on October 10 and both measures must receive at least 60% of the vote to pass.

“Proposition 1 totals $29.270 million and includes $17.965 to construct and equip a new junior high school on land south of the high school,” says The Purcell Register.

The old Junior High will be leased when it is vacated. But the Boney Matthews Fieldhouse along with the auditorium will remain under control of Purcell Public Schools.

“Improvements to Conger Field totaling $11.005 million will account for 37.6 percent of the bond issue proceeds,” says The Purcell Register.

The remaining 1% of the funds (around $300,000) will be used to purchase new band uniforms, along with new technology and equipment.

A separate proposition would buy new buses for 675,000, bringing the total to $29.945 million.

Despite the enormous price tag, property owners would only see a small amount of increase in how much they are paying, a 1.75% increase, so someone paying $1,000 in property taxes would pay $1,017.50. A $100 property tax bill would increase to $101.75.